Friday, January 28, 2011

How it Started

This is an e-mail I sent to several long distance friends to catch them up, and thought I'd include it here as I am sure I've left out lots of details when trying to communicate our exciting news.International Adoption has always been a desire of mine, but Reese has always said "No Way!"  After we had Ellie, he totally felt that our family was complete.  One boy, one girl - a family of four - perfect for eating out.  These are Reese's words.  :)
I am SUCH a baby person, that I begged for more for about a year, but then began to pray for contentment so that I could be the wife God wanted me to be.  And - I got it.  I specifically remember being at our Christmas Eve candlight service when Ellie was 2 and John Reese was 4 and our little family was standing there singing Silent Night and it literally washed over me - peace.  I was content and that intense desire that I had had for another baby was gone.  Now, I still grabbed every baby that I came in contact with of my friends, babysat their children and was first to the hospital after new births!  But, I was truly content.
I am so thankful for Reese and my children and this life that God has given me  - that I sooo do not deserve!

Then.... this September I read Mary Beth Chapman's book "Choosing to See."  I read the book out of a desire to see how the family was doing after their terrible loss - but God had different plans.  I KNEW when I finished that book that we would adopt.  And, I told Reese.  And, he said "No, way!"
Then, the next day (after Huntingdon's Homecoming) we went to FBC Montgomery like we always do when in Montgomery and it was their Orphan Ministry Sunday.  God is funny like that :).
When we got back, I asked Reese to read the book and pray.  The book has alot about their adoption - but the bigger message for me was following and obeying God.  During this time, I was facilitating the Beth Moore "Esther" study at church, and she really said alot about Esther being an orphan that God used in a mighty way.
So, through several more books "Radical" and "The Hole in Our Gospel" and LOTS of prayer, we decided to adopt.  Reese turned 40 on October 20 and that night, he said "Call the agency.  We HAVE to do this."  For him, he was excited, but he also felt like all of the reasons that he did not want more children were really just about "him"  -not about seeking God's direction - and these are his words - I promise.  He actually did ALL of the paperwork for the adoption (which is ALOT - but it is manageable).  This was more confirmation for me that God was leading both of us to this decision.
Ellie has been begging to adopt for years.  She has such a heart for orphans.  John Reese, on the other hand, felt like our life was just fine, and he really didn't want any changes. :)

But, God is working on his heart, and he is really excited now!  Praise God!

Why Hungary?  Because there are more than 10,000 orphans.  Because it is a new program with Lifeline Agency out of Birmingham.  Because we like the Social Worker that we would be dealing with.  And, because you have to stay in country for 6 weeks, and while this is a hardship for many families, it works for us.  Reese can manage with work as long as he has the phone and internet, and, with homeschooling, it is perfect as well as educational!
She may look Hungarian - blonde and blue eyed.   Or she may have an olive complexion and dark hair and be of the Roma population.  The other term for these people is "gypsy."  As they are nomadic and don't really contribute to society, they are outcasts and the Hungarians do not want to adopt these children.  We both feel like God specifically told us "girl."  And, we feel like she will be about 3 yrs old.  Our agency will look for a toddler.  This is another confirmation to me, that this was God, not me as I would have been drawn more to an infant.
We will name her Elizabeth Ann and call her Lizzy.  We hope to add part of her Hungarian name as well.
We are getting her room ready, but it will probably be 6-9 more months.

Sorry for the length of this, but I was very excited to share all of this with you.


Love you.
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this letter! I wanted to talk more the night we saw you at the dinner party... This answered all of my questions.

    Praying for your family as you serve this week on your mission trip.
    And, keeping you and Lizzy in our prayers as you journey to bring her home.

    ReplyDelete